Jaintia Hills Autonomous District Council came into being on 1964 when composite State of Assam by notification No. TAD/R/50/64 dated 23.11.1964 which carved out of the erstwhile United Khasi Jaintia Hills the whole area that was known as Jowai Sub Division to form a separate District Council called as Jowai Autonomous District Council. Later when the State of Meghalaya attained its Statehood in January 1972, Jowai Subdivision was upgraded as Civil District known as Jaintia Hills District and likewise, the Jowai Autonomous District Council was rechristened as Jaintia Hills Autonomous District Council vide Notification Dt-14.6.73.
With the passage of time and for administrative convenience, three Civil Sub Division have been created to effectively bring the administration and development nearer to the people. (Viz Khliehriat Sub-Division formerly known as Khliehriat Administrative unit, Amlarem Sub-Division to bring the administration and development nearer to the people. (Viz Khliehriat Sub-Division formerly known as Khliehriat Administrative unit Amlarem Sub-Division formerly known as Jaintia Border Sub- Division and later Saipung Sub-Division). In the year 2013 Khliehriat Sub-Division was upgraded into a Civil District to form a new District known as East Jaintia Hills. However, the name of the Autonomous District Council continues to remain the same in view of ethnicity, culture and common belief of the people.
The whole area of territorial jurisdiction of Jaintia Hills Autonomous Council lies between the latitudes of 24°58' and 26°3'N and the longitudes of 91°59' and 92°51'E with an area of 3,819 Km2 approximately. This is an area that remains after the transfer of a large chunk of its area (1,543 Km2 consisting 348 villages) to the newly created United Mikir and North Cachar Hills District in 1951.